Saturday, February 7, 2009

A great treat for $1.33

SO, I’m not one to buy boxes of crackers, etc…. for my food storage, but at Christmas time I came across an amazing deal on graham crackers...
4 (32 oz) boxes for $10.00,
(these are the LARGE boxes).
which makes it $2.50 per box

Jade had begged me to make
frosted graham crackers
to take for one of this snacks for ski school
and so I frosted up 2 packages of graham crackers
which gave us 10 whole graham crackers
(enough for each of us to have 2-1/2 graham crackers each)..

The cost...If I would have frosted the whole box
it would have made 30 frosted graham crackers
and with $2.50 per box and $1.50 of cream cheese frosting
it would have been a $4.00 treat,
BUT, since I only frosted up 1/3 of the box it
cost me $1.33.
I LOVE THRIFT!!

**************
It’s always nice to have fun and yummy treats to make up for your kids and here is another economical one (and one that uses your food storage as well)
….Carmello popcorn.
T
he other great thing about this (besides being inexpensive to make) is it cooks up in less than 5 minutes and so if you are having company come over and you don’t have time to make anything up you can always throw this together and it is treat that everyone loves!

Carmello
1 pan of popped popcorn (either popped on the stove or in the air popper)

(Caramel Coating)
3/4 cup REAL butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 cups of marshmallows

Put the butter and brown sugar in a microwave safe bowl and cook on high for 2 minutes.
Stir.
Add the marshmallows and cook for another minute, (or until marshmallows are melted).
Stir again and pour over popcorn and mix until all popcorn is coated.

(This is a yummy treat that makes up in just a few minutes and is great to make for something yummy to eat when you have unexpected company.)

1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

I love a good deal also!
I am FOR SURE going to try the Caramello popcorn..
Simple, and tastes good is my style...