Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Everyone is happier with chocolate!

Well, today was one of my good friend's birthday and so I made her a bundle
of my favorite Double Chocolate cookies.
These are also my kids' favorite cookies and so everyone was a winner today!

Anytime I give my kids a choice what kind of cookie I should make, this is what they always choose...(these are a great alternative to making brownies, in fact, I think they taste yummier than brownies and they are more economical to make).

I've gotten so much inspiration from one of my favorite authors
Elaine St. James
who has written several books I enjoy
"Simplify your Life"
********
"Living the Simple Life"
********
and "Simplify your Christmas"
********
In reading her books I have received some great advice about keeping
LIFE simple, including birthdays...
because it is better to remember someone's birthday with something simple, than to fret and stew about what to get them and miss doing anything for them at all.

She also talks about not giving people things that will CLUTTER their lives and she suggests giving people things they can either eat or "gift cards" for something like a "massage", "dinner date", etc....
So, in the vein of simplifying my life I 've decided to give everyone on my list a little bundle of "chocolate cookies"!

Boring as it may be they are always a great hit and it means that I am being thoughtful without the stress of running around and trying to find the "Perfect" gift AND it's also being thrifty.

When I notice it's someone's birthday, I just make up a batch of cookies and my sons are thrilled as well, as they get to eat the extra ones.

I can't just give cookies on a plate.
I have to make them look pretty
and more than anything I love to give towers of cookies wrapped in cellophane.
(that way it feels more like a little "gift" that you are giving to them).
I have an accordion folder full of every kind of cellophane bag that they make
and I fill the bag with cookies
tie it with a matching ribbon
and make a cute little homemade gift tag.

I have attached this recipe and also a photo of the cookie bundle to give you an idea of a simple and thoughtful gift idea that anyone could Enjoy!

Chocolate Cookies
(a great alternative to Brownies!)

(cream together)

1 cube REAL butter
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar

(then add in)

1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
¼ cup plus 1/8 cup cocoa powder
1/1/2 cups flour
(chocolate chips—however many you like)

Roll into balls and bake 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until no longer doughy.

(Yummy Alternative)
Leave out chocolate chips and take “unwrapped ROLOS” and make a ball with the dough, put a Rolo in the center and completely cover it. Roll in sugar and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. This is a decadent, rich, caramelly cookie.

2 comments:

Ann Marie said...

As soon as I saw the rolos, I knew I would HAVE to make these! Yum!
Your right.. Simple gestures for birthdays are the best!

Candace said...

I made these cookies today--YUM. Just got home from our "fantastically frugal enrichment", I told some people about your blog. So you will have some new Roberts Readers. I also showed off your super cute homemade birthday cards!