Thursday, August 15, 2013

Delicious Fresh Peach Pie

Tis the season for ripe juicy peaches!

We've been enjoying peaches for
 breakfast, lunch and dinner at our house.

Sometimes we wash and eat peaches by themselves...

Sometimes, we slice them and and enjoy them 
with Greek Yogurt, 
or, put them in a bowl and pour milk on them.
We've even been enjoying them 
on top of  our Buttermilk Pancakes!  

Another favorite, is that of FRESH Peach Pie!  

I had my first taste of FRESH peach pie,
while visiting my Aunt Eloise in California when I was just a young girl.
It was so delicious and I couldn't get enough of it! 

 I have made this pie for my own family at least once or twice a year during our entire marriage and it really is something that we all look forward to.  

However, the recipe, called for a package of Peach Jello (here)
and since my passion is making everything from scratch and trying not to use "Mixes" of any kind,
I decided to venture out and follow the recipe for my Fresh Strawberry Pie, which involved water, cornstarch, salt, sugar, butter, pureed peaches and vanilla. . It worked SO well and tasted just as delicious (if not BETTER), than my recipe that used peach Jello!

It's another WINNER for sure!
I LOVE that I can take basic staple ingredients that I always have on hand and turn them into something fabulous and delicious!

Fresh Peach Pie  

7-9 large peaches peeled and thinly sliced (depending how large your pie pan is)

(in a heavy sauce pan mix the following)
1 cup water
2/3 cup OR 3/4 cup sugar (depending how sweet your peaches are)
1/4 cup Corn Starch
1/4 tsp salt 
(whisk together to make sure there are no lumps)

Bring above ingredients to boil and then add in:
2 peaches that have been pureed
2 Tbsp butter

Continue cooking until heated through...
Remove from heat and add in:
2 tsp. vanilla
Let cool slightly 

Prepare pie crust (make and bake it) (here for my favorite pie crust recipe)
Cover the bottom of cooked crust with a little bit of glaze.
Fill baked pie crust with fresh sliced peaches
Pour glaze over the top of peaches 
and chill 2-3 hours.
Serve with whipped cream
Enjoy a taste of heavenly yummyness today!

5 comments:

Julie said...

OK, I am DEFINITELY making a peach pie this weekend. Yum!

Valerie said...

I have never had peach pie, but I love peaches. I haven't made a pie for ages, but I think I'll be making peach pie this weekend too!!!

Connie said...

Oh, yes! It looks so good! I'm sure your way of making this pie is MUCH better than using Jello!

Jenny Lynn said...

I have been enjoying some fresh peaches. They are so good. Someone gave us some fresh peach jam. My hubby made fry bread to spread it on. So Good!

Kate said...

Kimberly, We made three of these pies today and WOW! So YUMMY! I had never had "fresh peach pie" before. So soooooooo good! Thanks again for sharing.....