Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Potato Casserole! (with NO Cream Soup)

I'm feeling thrilled with life  
because I finally have tweaked all of my recipes 
that use Canned Cream Chicken/Mushroom soups!   

Yay for not having to add in the canned 
"who knows what's in it", 
to my Potato Casserole anymore! 

I pretty much just took the sauce that I made for my Chicken Enchiladas (here) (minus the green chilies) and it makes the YUMMIEST Potato Casserole that is the perfect accompaniment to Baked Ham or Chicken and the leftover casserole makes the BEST hashbrowns for breakfast! 

OH and it's totally frugal as well, 
 because I just take the carcass from our Rotisserie Chickens, boil it for an hour and use that yummyness for the Chicken Broth.  

No Cream Soup Potato Casserole

Boil 8 large potatoes until tender and then run under cold water and then peel and dice them into chunks

2 Tbsp. Melted butter
1 onion finely chopped
(one recipe of sauce below)
1 cup grated cheese of your choice (I use SHARP cheese)
salt and pepper to taste

(sauce)
3 Tbsp. butter
1/3 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
Melt butter and then add in flour and whisk until well combined
Add in chicken broth and whisk together and boil until thickened (about 5 minutes)
Add in sour cream and stir until smooth.

Mix together potatoes, melted butter and onions.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Add in white sauce/sour cream mixture and cheese.
Pour mixture over potatoes and stir until well mixed.
Put in 9x13 pan...
Bake covered at 350 degrees for 60-75 minutes—
uncover last 10 minutes.

Enjoy homemade yummyness 
that's not only frugal, 
but that just uses basic ingredients 
and isn't filled with lots of preservatives!
I can guarantee everyone you serve 
this to will be saying "Yum!"!

2 comments:

wileyfamilyof5 said...

Thank you fro this recipe. It sounds delish. I can't wait to try it.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Yummy! How did I miss this post?
You're amazing.

Missin' ya!