Friday, March 12, 2010

Sugar & Spice & Everything Nice!


OKAY,
So it has been a hectic week just trying to keep with the daily events of life; along with planning a birthday party, Scout Awards Ceremony, Track practice and meet, trying to de-clutter my life and get organized,
(in Tracy's words..."Our office looks like it blew up"!)
that there have hardly been many "free moments" to make a post of any kind.

YAY that we made it through the hectic week,
I got a package in the mail today of FUN things for Ethan's birthday party,
I get to go on a hot date with Mr. Smith tonight and
we get to look forward to a FUN, relaxing and productive weekend!

Busy and all,
I just had to share this yummy recipe that I baked up this week as Jade has begged me to make these up since Christmas and I just barely got around to it.

When we were newlyweds,
I was in the Young Women's Presidency and at one of our events one of the leaders brought the
BEST Ginger Snap cookies
I have ever eaten.
She was nice enough to give me the recipe, however, it was a LARGE batch that made over 7 dozen cookies and it called for Shortening.
(I don't like me or my family to consume Hydrogenated Oil of any kind and so I only bake with REAL butter).

I cut the recipe in half and substituted butter for the shortening and while they tasted delicious they were flat and very chewy. So, I did some investigating on substituting butter for shortening in recipes and since butter has more water content, then you need to decrease some of the liquids in your recipe.

I finally got it perfected
and we have made batch after batch of these and they are now perfect every time!

(Ginger and Molasses are the secret ingredients
to making Ginger Snaps so yummy!)


If you love a slightly crunchy, but chewy cookie that tastes like Ginger Bread that also makes your house smell heavenly while you are baking them, you will enjoy these!
For some crazy reason

my kids like these as much or more than Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Ginger Snaps
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup
REAL butter

2
eggs

1/4 cup molasses
1-1/2 teaspoons
cinnamon

1 teaspoon
cloves
1-1/2 teaspoons ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons
soda

3-1/2 cups
flour


Cream
together sugar and butter. Add eggs.
Next add molasses, salt and soda and mix well.
Then add flour, and spices.
Refrigerate at least one hour.

Roll
into balls and then roll balls in sugar.
Bake 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until crackly on the top.
Remove from cookie sheet and cool on baking rack.
Enjoy!

Sugar and Spice
and everything nice...
that's what these yummy cookies
are made of!

6 comments:

Connie said...

I hear what you're saying about a busy week. The cookies look yummy. I too have cut out shortening and margarine from our food.
Hope you enjoy your hot date with Mr. Smith tonight. And hope you have a wonderful weekend!

wileyfamilyof5 said...

Ginger snaps have to be one of my favorite cookies. I can't wait to try them out. I am with you an the shortening thing. It may sound gross but I use lard in my pie crusts. I swear you never get a flaker crust. Those pioneers knew what they were doing.

Ann Marie said...

I will have to print this recipe off since it's been doctored up! :)

Too funny that I only use butter..and not margarine.. but I still have used shortening for some recipes.. hmmm. Until you said something I wouldn't have thought about it.

I look forward to trying these!
Good luck with the Organizing!
It usually is a MESS in the beginning.. but as it gets put away and thrown away.. it feels GREAT!

Goodluck and hope you had a fabulous night with Mr. Smith! :)

Sondra said...

Oh Yum!! I'm glad you did all the hard work in cutting the recipe down to a good size - plus using real butter. I love using real butter. I'll have to try these for sure!

Your email made me smile about the Wild Rice soup.. It is my favorite - plus one I love to make for sick friends. Everyone loves it.

Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful recipes with us!

Brenda said...

OH...another great recipe!! I can't wait to make this for my dad. I KNOW he will just love it. I love that you cook so healthy for your family... they are lucky indeed!

CB said...

I don't think I have actually ever made ginger snaps - I only make Gingerbread men, women, children, dogs, psychos - oops scratch the last one - ha ha (sorry it's early and I am crazy!).
Seriously looks like a good recipe and I use that Molasses - it lasts forever so is good for food storage too!

Hope you had a wonderful weekend girl!! And that the week ahead brings lots of sunshine and smiles to you and your sweet family!