Monday, March 1, 2010

Potato Casserole, Chowder & Soup

WOW!
I am really feeling overwhelmed with potatoes right now.
You would think that since we live in potato growing country that each year I would feel this way, but until this year, I have never had to deal with so many potatoes at one time.

This is actually the first year
our garden has done well with potatoes and just from our garden alone we had over 3 large milk crates full of potatoes.
We then were given a 50 pound box of potatoes from a generous person that gave all of the teachers at Tracy's school district a box of potatoes for Christmas
AND then we received a 20 pound bag of potatoes from some people in our ward for Christmas.

I wish
I knew more people that we could share these yummy potatoes with.

SO, nonetheless,

I am swimming in potatoes and making lots of yummy meals with them and hoping we can use them all up before they go bad.

Here are three of my favorite potato recipes
that I have made for our family to enjoy this past month.
VERY filling, nutritious and economical as well.

This recipe is really similar to "Funeral Potatoes", only I use REAL whole potatoes and not frozen hash browns and I have cut down the butter and sour cream so it's not as fattening.

If you have any leftovers
from this they make really yummy hash browns for breakfast the next day.

Potato Casserole

Boil 8 potatoes until tender and then run under cold water and then peel and dice them into chunks
2 Tbsp. Melted butter
1 can cream of chicken OR mushroom soup
1 diced onion
1 cup sour cream
½ to 1 cup grated cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Mix together, butter, soup, sour cream, cheese and onions.
Pour mixture over potatoes and stir until well mixed.
Bake covered at 350 degrees for 60 minutes—
uncover last 10 minutes.
This is delicious!
(the “REAL” potatoes are what make it so good—
boil WHOLE potatoes until tender---rinse under cold water—peel and dice)


Since the potatoes were free
we spent $2.14 to make this yummy casserole.
.................................................
creamed soup--.79
sour cream--.50
cheese--.50
onion--.25
butter--.10

Potato Chowder

12
medium potatoes

1 large onion chopped
1 pound ground beef
4 to 6 cups water (depending how large your potatoes are)
2 cups milk
1 can whole kernel corn drained
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1 cup sour cream

In large stock pot cook onion and ground beef until meat is no longer pink and onions are tender.
Add in potatoes and 5 to 6 cups of water and bring to boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are very tender.
Stir in rest of ingredients and cook for 10 minutes until heated through.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy!

Since the pototoes and hamburger were FREE (my parents give us yummy beef from their cows for Christmas
)
this soup cost us $1.34 to make up
..............................................................
sour cream--.50
milk--.25
onion--.25
corn--.34

Yummy Potato Soup

Ingredients...

8 potatoes
1/2 pound bacon
1 cup celery
2-3 cups chopped onions
1 can evaporated milk
2 grated carrots

Cut up 8 potatoes
really small and cook in a pot of water just below potatoes.
(add salt and pepper to the water before adding the potatoes).
If water boils low, add a bit of milk—not more water.


While the potatoes are cooking in a separate (large) skillet
cook ½ pound of bacon cut up in small pieces.
Cook VERY slowly
until cooked but NOT crisp.
When bacon is cooked add 1 cup chopped celery and 2-3 cups finely chopped onions. Put lid on and cook on LOW heat stirring every few minutes until celery and onions are tender.

(these 2 parts of the recipe
are the key to the yummy flavor of this soup).

Smash potatoes lightly and then
add 1 can evaporated milk.

Stir in bacon mixture.
Grate 2 carrots (or more) into soup.
Heat thoroughly and Enjoy!

Since the potatoes were FREE
this meal cost us $2.35 to make up
...............................................................
onions, celery, carrots--$1.50
bacon--.35
evaporated milk--.50

10 comments:

Small House said...

We had almost that same exact potato casserole this past Sunday. And I'm definitely going to try the potato soup! I LOVE potato soup!!

Despite the fact that you are bombarded with potatos, kind of nice that that's one less thing you have to purchase from the grocery store!!

Thanks for sharing your recipes. Always enjoy the ideas.

Enjoy the week!

Sondra said...

Oh yum!! I can't believe you have so many potatoes - wow!! The recipes look great! I use real potatoes in funeral potatoes too. I don't really like frozen veggies - compared to real/fresh ones. I was thinking about making a batch of funeral potatoes and blogging them in the next couple of weeks. I make them and put them in the freezer in loaf size pans - for my small family... mine have bacon in it and and yummy tooo.

As always, I love your recipes.

Connie said...

I've never used the frozen potatoes in funeral potatoes. All the recipes look so yummy! Potatoes are so filling and can be used in so many ways.
Thanks for sharing these delicious recipes!!

CB said...

That is so awesome that you have been given so many potatoes and that your garden produced so many too!
I absolutely LOVE potatoes. I could eat them morning, noon and night.
The potato chowder looks especially good to me. I am definately trying that recipe.
You are such a good woman to make use of them and think of different meals you can make out of them. This not only stretches your groceries but there is no waste - Yayyy for Kimmie!
You are my frugal hero!!

Thanks for sharing your talents and recipes :D

CB said...

P.S. I never can keep potatoes very long because they get mushy or grow sprouts. Do you have any tips for storing potatoes?

Ann Marie said...

Great picture of Tracy in the garden! Makes me excited for summer!

We have 2 huge boxes of potatoes.. and I am worried they will go bad before we eat them.

I love-love potatoes and funeral potatoes are one of my top 5 favorite foods! Seriously!
I love them so much I don't care if it's frozen or real potatoes.. and that says alot-- because I'm picky about eating "real" spuds vs. fake ones ( dehydrated. )

Your soup looks delicious.. and I will for sure try both of those recipes.

Melanie ( Chad's cousin that visits you ) makes an awesome Baked potato soup. :)

I'm with Cherie.. where and how do you store your potatoes? I keep some in the fridge and then we have 2 boxes in the basement where it is cold...

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Love all three of those recipes!
Are we blessed to live in potato country?
I actually ran to the store in the wee hours of the morning (before Howie took our 1 vehicle) to buy some potatoes from Albies....not so wonderful.
We're having baked spuds tonight.

Thanks for sharing the recipes. You are most awesome!

Suzanne said...

My mouth is watering!! Your recipes look so goooood!! I love everything potato! Unfortunately, we have lost a few potatos in our storage! So sad! I think I shall try one of your soups this week. Thank you so much for sharing these recipes! I love them! -Suzanne

wileyfamilyof5 said...

sounds so good. One of my favorite potato recipes that my grandmother made ofter is. Boil your red potatoes until tender. Make a white sauce and stir them in and add fresh or frozen peas. You need to try the waffle recipe I posted.

CreativeMish said...

All of these potato recipes sound good. I've never thought of putting hamburger in my potato soup. I'll be trying that one soon..