Thursday, June 10, 2010

Yummy Butternut Squash!


I am a squash lover
...
other than Spaghetti Squash,
there's not a squash that I have tried that I haven't just loved!
I honestly could eat squash everyday if I had it available to eat.

When I was pregnant with Ethan,
at one of the doctor's visits I was reading through one of the magazines sitting on the table in the office and came across this recipe. It originally called for Leeks and that is how I made it the first time, but every time I went to make it I never had Leeks on hand and so I tried an experiment
and just sauteed up onions instead of the Leeks and this actually tasted
SO much better and so that is how I have been making it ever since.

I try and keep a few packages of Canadian Bacon in my freezer to have on hand for making Pizza, Calzones and this Casserole.

We have been blessed
on 2 different weeks with Butternut Squash in our Bountiful Baskets and so what a treat it was to make this up and break up our many bowls of soup that we eat.

There were 3 pieces leftover from dinner and so I sent a piece with Tracy to work for lunch and Jade ended up eating mine AND his piece. I can't believe that my kids like this as much as Tracy and I do!

The onions, squash, apples, ham, cheese and spices
blend together to make the most delicious casserole ever.

This would also be a perfect thing
to make for a breakfast casserole.

Butternut Squash Casserole

1 large (or 2 small) butternut squash peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
1 or 2 onions thinly sliced/then sauteed until tender (I use 2 onions)
2 small apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2 teaspoons thyme
3 Tbsp flour
4 oz. shredded Swiss cheese (OR Mozzarella cheese)
1 (6oz) package Canadian Bacon
1-1/2 cups chicken stock
1 piece wheat bread toasted and crumbled

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a shallow baking dish layer 1/3 of the squash, then ½ of the sauteed onions and then ½ of the apple slices. Season with a sprinkle of thyme, ¼ tsp pepper and a scatter of flour and 1/3 of the cheese. Layer half the meat.


For the second layer repeat the process topping with squash.Add chicken stock.
Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven, uncover and sprinkle with bread crumbs and remaining cheese.
Return to oven uncovered and bake 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

OH. MY. DELICIOUSNESS!!!

I will definitely give this one a try.

You'll have to let me know what was in the bountiful basket tomorrow. I didn't order one because I didn't think I would go through it with Howie gone all week, but I ended up taking in a couple of meals to people and went through it quite nicely.
Now I'm wishing I had ordered.

Thanks for the great recipes and faithful posting on your challenges. I am enjoying them a lot.

You are an awesome woman!

Bree said...

that squash recipe looks amazing. I love a good squash casserole. I will make this soon.