Friday, June 25, 2010

Summer-time Refreshment!



"When life hands you limes...
make Limeade"!

WHEW!!
With all of the crazy, out of the ordinary COLD weather we have been having who would have known that three days after it was officially the first day of summer we would be enjoying
82 degree weather
!!

It was funny hearing Ethan saying:
"Maybe it's not always fun to get what you wish for, I mean, we wanted it to be warm, but now it's TOO hot"!!

I then proceeded to tell him
that there is no complaining allowed in our home about the weather and we are going to LOVE every moment of this hot weather as we deal with SO much cold here in Southeast Idaho, we are going to enjoy and savor each day of WARM that we get!

Water is always the drink of choice at our house,
(we don't buy pop or juice) however, our favorite summer-time beverage has always been Yellow or Pink Lemonade, (I buy Lemonade flavored Kool-aid...10 for $1.00--these are the only flavors I buy)
Since I try to limit my kids sugar, only I only use 1/2 cup sugar as I feel it's too sweet to use 1 cup.
2 quarts of cold water
1/2 cup sugar
one packet of Lemonade Kool-Aid

Mix together and enjoy to cool off in the summer.

However,
We now have a NEW favorite...
Refreshing Lime Drink.

This was a recipe that I got from one my close friends and she makes it for every party she throws. The problem was the recipe makes 3 gallons and that is way TOO much for my little family of four.
SO, I have tweaked it so I finally can make up two quarts that is not too sour, not too sweet,
but JUST right!
I can't keep enough of this made up. Every time I think I have plenty, someone finishes it off and then it's back to making another batch.
SO YUMMY!
(BTW...you can purchase Citric Acid at any Health Food store)



Refreshing Lime Drink
2 quarts water
3/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Citric Acid
1 capful of Lemon Extract
1 sliced lime
Stir together well. 
Let chill for at least one to two hours and then pull out the limes (if the limes are in the drink for longer than 2 hours, they will make it bitter).
(**DOUBLE the batch to make one gallon)



MY ROUTINE...
I mix the sugar/water in the morning before I go to work.
Come home and add in the Citric Acid, Lemon Extract and sliced lime.
Let it sit for 2 hours and then by 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon, when my kiddos are playing hard outside, I have something refreshing and yummy to serve them to quench their thirst and help them cool off a little.

Enjoy a batch of summertime refreshment...
I have happy kids in my house when there's a pitcher of this to be enjoyed in the fridge!!

Happy Summer!!

4 comments:

Candace said...

I am so glad you posted this!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Yum! This looks so delicious!
I look forward to getting some made.
You're totally awesome.

CB said...

Kimmie this looks so refreshing! My family are major water drinkers, especially in the summer but we love lemonade and lime drinks as well.
I might need the 3 gallon recipe though as Taylor would drink the 2 quart pitcher in one sitting!! He's at baseball out in the heat for 5 or 6 hours a day - good thing water is free!! Ha ha Boys!
I love that you reminded Ethan not to complain about the heat - what a cutie he is. I think it would be kind of a shock to the system to go from all that cold to a really hot day all of a sudden!
I hope you are enjoying lots of nice warm days for a few months with your awesome smoothies and this yummy lime drink! You know how to make summer fun!
:D

Connie said...

I have made this drink before and love it! I haven't used limes though, that would be even more refreshing! I agree about the weather, it seeemed to go from cold to hot all of a sudden, but I'm not going to complain. My garden is doing well with this heat and now I have a great recipe for a refreshing drink! Thanks and I hope you're having a fun day with your family.