Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Lifetime of Love!


"Sooner or later we begin to understand
that love is more than verses on Valentines
and romance in the movies.
We begin to know that love is here and now,
real and true, the most important thing in our lives.
For love is the creator of our favorite memories
and the foundation of our fondest dreams.
Love is a promise that is always kept,
a fortune that can never be spent,
a seed that can flourish in even the most unlikely places.
And this radiance that never fades,
this mysterious, magical joy,
is the greatest treasure of all...
one known only by those who Love!
"


I have always loved this quote.
In fact, in the early years of our marriage we didn't have a lot of money and so I cross-stitched this for Tracy for his 27th Birthday, along with making him a love note and a German Chocolate Cake.

I had to run into the grocery store
to grab some more "sprinkles for cookies" and some apples on Friday and I was amazed at all of the MANY displays they had to get people to spend money and show their sweetheart how much they loved them.
They had
displays with Crab legs, steaks , prime rib roasts, LOTS of "heart balloons", boxes of chocolates, roses, and this list goes on.... I have never seen anything like it in years past.

It's sad that people think they need a holiday and that they need to spend money to show someone that they love them. More sad yet, are people that birthdays and Valentine's day and holidays are the only days of the year that they get pampered, or told they are loved or how special they are.

*****************************
I am SO grateful to be shown true love
every day of my life
and not just on Valentine's Day.
In fact, other than exchanging love notes (with FRESH lip stick kisses from me to Tracy on the envelope) and ROMANCE,
Tracy and I really don't exchange gifts on Valentine's day.
I do buy Cinnamon Lips
and we make LOTS of Pink heart cookies
and we'll make something with strawberries, whether it be a pie, topping for pancakes or a smoothie, but very seldom do we go out to dinner, or buy roses, chocolates, jewelry
or other gifts just because it is Valentine's Day.

You see, we have Valentine's Day each day of the year!
Like this quote says..."Love is more than verses on Valentines or Romance in the movies....it is here and now, real and true the most important thing in our lives...."

Wouldn't the world be such a wonderful place
if married couples treated each other special each day of the year!
It is possible.
With a little thought and effort you can show your spouse just how much they mean to you.
Leave them a note in their car or lunchbox, or on the bathroom mirror, or your hubby's workshop, greet them at the door with a big KISS each night and give them your undivided attention...let them know how much you missed them and that you're SO glad to have them home.
Pay a compliment to your sweetie every single day!
Send them an email or text telling them something exciting!
Be dressed a little extra nice (or sexy) when they come home at night.
Have a candlelight dinner, go on a walk, or watch the stars together.
If they go on a business trip, send notes tucked in their pockets for each day they are there.
(I could probably do a whole post on this topic).

The possibilities are endless to keeping your ROMANCE alive!


My favorite Valentine's day
was when I was pregnant with Jade.
Even though
I was feeling like a "beached whale", I had a trail of kisses leading from the front room to the bedroom, where I was waiting... wearing only three construction hearts that I had made (placed in strategic places ),
I felt like a cute little wifey
!
We had so much fun sharing a candle light dinner together and dreaming about our future with our new baby... soon to arrive!

Good times...
great memories!

Here's to a lifetime Love Affair
with the love of my life Tracy!


"Oh, if it be to choose and call thee mine,
love, thou art every day my Valentine"!

~Thomas Hood

5 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Great post Kimmie! I agree with you! We enjoyed a candlelight dinner last night! We babysit a grandchild today so last night was our special evening.
Howie said he got to enjoy some more cookies at work....you're the sweetest!
I love the book that Tracy writes in for you, so sweet!

CB said...

You know I have a VERY romantic husband and I have always said that our life together is like Valentines Day every single day. I have always been the envy of my friends and family (not that I was trying to be but most husbands are just not so attentive).
I think you and Tracy are the only other couple I really know who has that kind of relationship - We are such lucky, lucky women!!
I totally agree that I am sad for those who are only recognized on their birthday or Valentines day and sometimes not even on those days.
I too saw the massive displays in the store and WOW it was over the top.
We cooked a special dinner together last night (one of our favorite things to do) - I woke up to roses (because he wanted to) and a love note this morning and the knowledge that I am cherished everyday of the year.
Love the poem you stitched for Tracy - I had never heard that before and it is beautiful!
Happy Valentines Day!

Ann Marie said...

I agree!
Love should be celebrated all year long! :) I feel so lucky to be so in love with Chad.. and he with me.. ( imperfections and all... )
But-- I am grateful for this holiday.. that gives my children an extra special day in February to celebrate! :)
The Valentine Man made things very exciting tonight! :)

Ps: One year.. I'll have to remember your construction hearts... Chad would LOVE that! :)

Connie said...

It seems like there were more commercials and ads about buying for Valentine's Day this year than I have remembered in the past!
You have some great ideas on keeping the love alive. Your cross stitch quote is very sweet.
It's a real blessing to be married to a great husband that you love! And it's good to grow old together!
Happy Valentine's Day!

Brittany H said...

Thanks so much for the cookies! They were SO YUMMY! looking at them again made my mouth water haha