Monday, May 16, 2011

Here's what's cookin' at our house!

 My sweet little Ethan Kip
has after school activities each Monday and Tuesday and my work has been extremely busy, and so I offered to work extra to help out.
SO, Monday's and Tuesdays for the past month and half have consisted of leaving the house at 6:30 each morning, working until 2:30 and then staying in town until 3:45 where I pick up Jade from track practice (since we live 10 miles out of town)
Needless to say, on these days I get home between 4:15 and 4:30 (and if I haven't planned ahead) I feel overwhelmed trying to throw something together for dinner that is yummy and goes together quickly.
While I am very much a Chili lover and would much rather make Chili if I have time, I have fallen in love again with one of my tried and true recipes of Taco Soup!
This uses ingredients I always have on hand,
goes together quickly and
while you're cooking it you can also
make batch of Corn Bread and by the time 6:00 comes, dinner can be gracing your table top that's delicious, nutritious and a hit with almost anyone!

I also whip up a batch of Refreshing Lime Drink as well...
for recipe click here


Taco Soup
1 pound ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 (16 oz.) can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
1 (16 oz.) can kidney beans (with liquid)
1 (17 oz.) can corn (with liquid)
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup taco seasoning

In a large soup pot brown ground beef and saute onions; drain well.
Add tomatoes, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce and taco seasoning.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
(the longer it simmers the better).
Put soup in bowls and garnish as desired with shredded cheese, sour cream and corn chips. This also goes GREAT with corn bread!


Sweet Corn Bread 
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp. salt
1-¾ cup flour
1-½ cups milk

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and stir.
Add in cornmeal, baking powder and salt and stir until just combined
Add flour alternatively with milk. Put in greased 9x9 pan.
Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
This is WONDERFUL and tasty
and kids and dads don’t seem to mind eating soup or a “bean” dish if they have yummy cornbread to eat.

**Helpful tip**
I mix 1/4 cup dried milk powder with 1-1/2 cups water
in a pint jar and shake well to use in place of regular milk...
you can't tell a difference and it uses food storage powdered milk.

Yummy...Delicious...Enjoy!

5 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

You are so amazing to make sure you are making homemade meals while you are ao busy.
You are an inspiration to me all the time. I get lazy and lose site of the goal way too easy.

Your taco soup looks yummy. It is a great " go to" meal.

Heather said...

Oh yummy! I so want to try this one out! I want to try the cornbread out! I always make my cornbread from Jiffy! I bet this recipe from scratch blows Jiffy out of the water! You are amazing Kimmie!

CB said...

I actually have a chili that is similar to the Taco Soup but I love Taco Soup too!!

The sweet cornbread looks yummy!!

You are an inspiration to Katie who has been looking at your blog and making your recipes for her husband - it is so cute - but I am soooo happy she is making your healthy and delicious recipes.
Thanks for being such a great role model of healthy living!

Connie said...

Just looking at the taco soup makes me hungry! Great recipe for both the soup and cornbread. Oh wait, I didn't check out the lime drink recipe. I'll go do that now.
You're one busy lady and still you have good homemade food for your family.
Love all your recipes!

Alene said...

I'm making this to go along with my beans for dinner!! I can't wait. I love how all of your recipes are so easy and I don't have to go and buy fancy ingredients at the store!!