Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Zucchini Favorites of our family!



YES, it's that time of the year...
time for LOTS and LOTS of the GREEN stuff from our garden;
aka...
Zucchini


Every family has their favorite zucchini recipes!
Since this is my recipe journal for all of our family favorites, I thought I had better post these.

The last time I posted about zucchini was in June 2009 when I was pulling zucchini from my freezer that I had froze the previous year and using it up.

Harvest Time
wouldn't be the same without making up these three yummy dishes.


Zucchini BREAD
We enjoy zucchini bread
ALL through the winter because of this helpful tip!!
Thank goodness for being able to preserve things through freezing!
If I were to think of my family's favorite "sweet bread" recipe, it would hands down be Zucchini Bread!


Zucchini Bread
3 eggs, well beaten
1 cup oil (I use ½ cup oil and ½ cup applesauce instead of 1 full cup of oil)
1 ¾ cup sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
3 tsp. Vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Mix first 5 ingredients.
Sift and add the rest.
Grease 2 loaf pans and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour (OR until toothpick inserted in comes out clean.

This is always a hit with everyone
ANY TIME
of the year that it is baked up!



Zucchini CASSEROLE
I just LOVE any kind of casserole
that has "stuffing" in it.

I remember being a young girl and enjoying SO much when there would be leftover stuffing from Thanksgiving dinner and we would take leftover stuffing, turkey and add in some broccoli and bake it in the oven.

This recipe kind of reminds me of that kind of a casserole.
I never buy store bought bread crumbs...
because it's just so easy to make them yourself.
I just take a few slices of my French Bread (here) and then slice them into small cubes and toast them in my toaster oven until lightly browned.
I then sprinkle on 1 tsp. sage and 1 tsp garlic powder and mix well.
Add in the rest of the ingredients and Voila...
a delicious casserole using
bread you baked and veggies from your garden
!

Zucchini Casserole
1 chicken breast (cooked and chopped)
Sautee 1 onion and 1 cup of celery until tender

Cook
3 medium zucchinis (chopped) and 3 chopped carrots until tender.
Drain well.


Take
4 cups of bread crumbs and
season well
with sage and garlic powder (I use 1 tsp of each)


Mix altogether
and add 1 can of cream of chicken soup.

Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
This is delicious and really easy!


Zucchini QUICHE
We recently had a bad frost and even though we covered our garden, it still left the leaves of our squash plants looking pretty ugly. Ethan overheard Tracy and I talking about our garden and he chimed in and said:

"I'm so sad! Does this mean you won't be able to make anymore of that Pie with Zucchini, Eggs and Cheese... I was really looking forward to having some more of that!"


Well a few days after the frost, we started noticing more zucchini's growing so YES, my little Ethan Kip, we definitely will be enjoying more of this yummy Quiche!

(as easy as 1, 2, 3
and you can whip up a delicious quiche for dinner)


Zucchini Quiche
(click here for pie crust recipe)
5 cups
zucchini sliced thin

1 onion chopped
2 Tbsp. butter
½ to 1 cup cooked ham chopped (optional)
Cook in skillet for about 15 minutes. (may need to add a little bit of water)

Mix together:
2 Tbsp. Parsley flakes
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp basil
¼ tsp oregano
Combine vegetable mixture and spices together

Blend together
8 oz grated Swiss cheese
4 eggs

Make pie crust and press in un-greased 10” pie plate, prick with fork and
Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes (or until lightly browned).
Pour vegetable/spice mixture evenly over crust.
Pour cheese and eggs over the top.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!

Feeling SO grateful,
that even though we got the latest start ever this year in planting our garden
(didn't get it in until the first week of July...yes, it was a busy summer),
we are still enjoying a bountiful harvest
of cabbage, LOTS red potatoes, carrots, beets, onions, a few ears of corn and
LOTS of Zucchini!!

3 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Kimmie, I think it wouldn't have done you much good to plant any sooner.
I did and we didn't fare well.

We'll have some spuds.

I've been canning up a storm these last three days but not from tomatoes from my garden, they froze.

You've made me hungry for zucchini bread. I guess I'll have to head to the freezer to find the zucchini from last year. So glad I froze some! Once again, another idea inspired by Kimmie!

Connie said...

I have to agree with Tauna about planting. This has been the worst year for our garden! Even our tomatoes didn't fare well!

All those zucchini dishes look delicious! Love all your recipes and the way you post them with pictures and instructions and comments from your family!

Glad your arm and your work environment are doing better.

Ann Marie said...

That Quiche looks AMAZING.
~ And I love Zucchini just about any way it's made. :)

This too.. was our worst year with flowers AND garden veggies. Chad's parents are in Europe right now.. and I am picking Tomatoes like crazy.. and we are giving them to EVERYONE this year because soo many people didn't do well gardening...
I don't know anyone who produced Corn this year. So sad.

Kimmie! I am so amazed at all of these posts you are doing!! I am still a hit- and miss type.. as I will probably be sooo busy until after our retreat.. but I love to read your posts! I do go back and read them!

I saw you asked about storing onions on a few posts back..
My SIL stores them in nylons. I know it makes her onions last longer. Not sure why.. but it does. If I go down in her cold storage.. she has onions all down the legs of some nylons.. and they keep! :)
My family will ONLY eat dehydrated stuff. I am the only one who will eat the GOOD stuff. :(
Hope it helps.. :)