Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Carrots + Apples Make Yummy Muffins!

 Today I am Thankful for...
an abundance of all of the YUMMY things
that my family enjoys so much, that of 
APPLES and CARROTS!!

Each time I bite into a crisp apple, or crisp, sweet carrot,
I feel SO blessed and think that there are millions of people that are starving and malnourished in this world that would LOVE to bite into a yummy, healthy, nourishing apple or carrot.   
Wish so badly that we could all make a difference for people in other countries by being able to share our abundance with them!
Having nourishing food to eat is something that I NEVER take for granted!
What to do with all of those garden fresh carrots and apples 
we are swimming in this time of the year!!

I love taking fresh garden produce 
and making delicious things for my family to eat!   
These muffins are SO good, hearty and healthy and a wonderful way to get veggies into your kids diets AND a wonderful way to use your garden abundance.

The recipe called for 3/4 cup oil,
but I didn't want to use that much oil,  
SO, I resorted to my trick I do anytime I am making a sweet bread...
dumped in a SNACK sized  applesauce container (which is 1/2 cup)
and then I filled the container 1/2 full with oil (which was 1/4 cup).
It made the muffins moist AND made it where I only used 1/4 cup oil versus 3/4 cup...
they turned out Fabulous!!
Carrot Apple Nut Muffins
2 cups grated carrots (about 2 or 3 large ones)
1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup oil (I used a snack sized apple sauce and then filled the container 1/2 full of oil)
1 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 heaping Tbsp. Ground Flax Seed
2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Grate apples and carrots and set aside
In separate bowl mix together sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla.
Then fold in grated carrots and apples.
Then add in salt, cinnamon, baking soda/powder and mix
and then add in flour and pecans stirring until moistened.
Pour batter in greased muffin tins, OR, tins lined in baking cups.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, OR, until toothpick inserted in comes out clean
(this made 18 muffins)
After removing from oven, lightly butter tops of muffins and un-mold from muffin tins.
Let sit 10 minutes and then store in Rubbermaid container to keep moist. (freeze extras to pull out for future breakfasts, snacks or lunches)
Perfect accompaniment to Spiced Cider (here)
Enjoy!

 Have fun disguising veggies in a yummy way 
and enjoying something delicious as well!

5 comments:

Ann Marie said...

I feel guilty reading your post.
-- You know.. like when your little and your Mom tells you to eat all of your food because other kids are starving?? Well... if I could.. I would ship all of my carrots to those starving kids.

I know.. I need to be grateful.. even for carrots.

Can you taste the carrots in these muffins? If you can't.. then I will try them..
I do like carrot cake.. does that count? lol!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I can't decide which picture I loved the most....the muffins or those good looking eggs. (weird, I know)

Looks like another good Kimmie recipe for the books.

Kimmie said...

Hi Ann Marie...you make me laugh! I just made up another batch of muffins because Tracy wanted some and as I am sitting here eating them and trying to see if I can taste the carrots, I really can't.

Think of how YUMMY Zucchini Bread is and you can't taste the zucchini in it. These muffins are hearty with a hint of cinnamon and and delicious taste of pecans. I wish I lived on your block and I could bring you over a muffin to try.

If you do have abundance of carrots, you should try making up a batch and see if your family can tell what's in them. They probably would be surprised when you told them exactly what's in them after they eat them.

At Tauna...I know how you feel, there is just something about Farm Fresh Eggs that I am always enamored with photos of them as well. Hope your "Girls" are surviving the cold. We are still getting 4-5 eggs a day, so we're feeling grateful for that.

Anywho, hope you're having a great day!

m2mommy said...

Hi Kimmie,
I found your blog via the sweet Tauna, who I worked with years and years ago in Idaho Falls. I finally got the "nerve" to comment on your post!
Your blog is amazing and I love trying all your recipes! These muffins were amazing. I whipped a batch up without the nuts for my sweet girls who got braces yesterday. I love that she can still get her fruits and veggies with her sore teeth!!

Controlling My Chaos said...

The question is, can you count each muffin as a fruit and a vegetable serving? I totally would.