Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Powdered Milk plus Cocoa Powder makes yummy treats!


Just because we're not spending money for 3 months doesn't mean you can't have YUMMY treats for your kids to enjoy during the hot summer months!


Who would have ever known that you can make the most amazing
Fudge Pops 
AND 
Chocolate Peanut Butter Milkshakes 
with FOOD storage ingredients!!

Well, you can 
 and they taste just as good or even BETTER than anything 
you can purchase at a store and you can make them anytime you want as they use 
basic food storage ingredients 
that you always have on hand!!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Milkshakes 
1-1/2 cups COLD water
1-1/2 cups dry milk powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder 
1 large spoonful peanut butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
(2 cups of ice or more)
Place all ingredients (but ice) in blender and blend on high for one minute.  
Then add in 2 cups of ice and blend well.
Do a taste test to see if it is "icy and thick" and then if not, add in more ice to make the desired consistency of milk shake.   
It is SO yummy 
and you will never know it isn't made of real ice cream!

Homemade Fudge Pops
(tastes just as good or better than store bought)
 4 cups water
¾ cup sugar
1 heaping Tablespoon cornstarch
½ cup cocoa powder
3 heaping Tablespoons flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups dry milk powder
1 teaspoon vanilla

In medium saucepan, bring 4 cups water to boil.
Mix together all dry ingredients in a bowl and add all at once to boiling water.
Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.  
Add in vanilla and cover top with plastic wrap and let cool 30 minutes.
Stir well, pour into Popsicle containers (I used a funnel to fill my molds so I didn't make such a mess) and freeze at least 3 hours. (PS...I purchased my Popsicle molds at TARGET)
If you don’t have Popsicle molds, you can just
pour the mixture in 2 oz. paper cups and put a Popsicle stick in each. 

After freezing, peel away the paper cup, OR, run Popsicle molds under very hot water, pull out the Popsicle and enjoy, while watching the faces of young and old smile as they eat them!

Dr. Seuss says it best...
"Try them you will like them you see"! 
Enjoy! 

4 comments:

CB said...

Love the Suess quote - I always used that when my kids were little and didn't want to eat something!

In this case though I think they would have NO problem what-so-ever.

You did it again Kimmie - these look scrumptious. Ethan sure seems to be enjoying the pops - so cute!!

I really need to try these shakes, especially, for all the teenage boys I have around here looking for snacks constantly - they would LOVE them!!

Have a GREAT day!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

THose look much better than ones that you buy in the store. AND you get to see the cute smile of Ethan along with it. NOTHING BETTER!

I think I must come to your blog every other day at least to look for a recipe or idea that you've posted.
Thanks for doing that.

Jandawoman said...

Where did you find your plastic popcycle containers? I haven't found one I like yet.
Jan W.

Kimmie said...

Jan...that is a great question!

I purchased my Popsicle molds at TARGET. (they were $2.49 per 4 mold set and I bought 2 so we can make 8 Popsicles at a time).

I hope you are able to find some that will work for you. I actually searched all over as well and was SO happy when I came across these.