Friday, June 24, 2011

Homemade Ketchup makes delicious Sloppy Joes!


One of my many childhood memories 
was that of enjoying my moms yummy Sloppy Joes.

Most kids moms would buy cans of "Manwich" to make their Sloppy Joes, but, my mom just added a little of this and a little of that and I was always amazed and SO excited when she made these as they tasted SO good to me!
So happy my mom was able to right down the exact amounts of what she puts in this so I can make this delicious recipe for my family. 

I have been trying to cutting down on 
"high fructose corn syrup"
in our lives and it is amazing the things that are loaded with high fructose corn syrup and one of those being Ketchup. 
So, one day when I was browsing through one of my cook books I came across this recipe for homemade ketchup. I decided to make it up when I am making Sloppy Joes, Baked Beans, Sunshine Bean Casserole, etc...to see how good it tasted.  While the texture is not as smooth as bottled ketchup you purchase from the store, the taste is pretty much the same and is perfect when you're baking and making sauces. 

Love this recipe and enjoy having an
alternative to keeping down our consumption of high fructose corn syrup.
  
Homemade Tomato Ketchup
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
dash cayenne pepper
Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate in an airtight container.


And last but not least,
here is the recipe for Sloppy Joes 
Mom's BBQ
1-1/2 pounds ground beef browned well 
Drain
Then add in:
1 large chopped onion
2 tsp. chili powder
1 large squirt of mustard
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1-2 Tbsp. butter
Enough ketchup to make a good sauce (I start with 2/3 cup and stir and add in more until I get a nice sauce that is not too thin, not too thick).
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer at least 2 hours. 
(this freezes well so you can freeze leftovers to pull out for future meals 

Serve on fresh baked hoagie buns!
SO yummy and tasty! 
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Yum and double yum.

You never cease to amaze me Kimmie.
I have thoroughly enjoyed every single one of your recipes that I've tried.

The sloppy joes look so inviting and a perfect summer meal!