Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Comforting bowls of Soup!

 We are definitely a soup loving family. 
I LOVE soups of all kinds from 
Chicken Noodle, to Bean Soups, to Minestrone! 

They're ALL delicious to me! 
I know that Spring is here, but here in Southeast Idaho, it is still chilly and there are many days we still want to warm up with a bowl of soup.

 I also LOVE squash of all kinds 
 and during harvest season I always find ways to add in zucchini or summer squash into my soups and I bake a variety of muffins, breads with squash as well.   
Butternut squash makes the top five of my squash favorites and I love making Casserole with it, (here) and (here) steaming it with just a little butter and salt/pepper, OR, making soup with it.

Here is another soup favorite...
ESPECIALLY with the kids,
although not one of Tracy's favorites, he loves the flavor of it just doesn't like the consistency (although the kids and I beg to differ).
He loves soups with LOTS of broth and doesn't really enjoy smooth, creamy soups as much. 

This reminds me of a soup you would get at a nice restaurant and can be served up a variety ways as far as garnishes. 
Butternut Squash Soup
6 cups chicken broth
2 pounds butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into 2 inch chunks
1 tsp. thyme
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 stalks celery chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 slices bacon 
2 cups packed spinach or kale chopped
One 15 oz. can pinto beans drained (OR 2 cups beans you have cooked)
2 carrots chopped
1 bell pepper diced
1 cup frozen corn kernels
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute onions, garlic and celery in olive oil for 10 minutes until they start to get soft.
Next add in thyme, butternut squash and broth and cook over low heat for 45 minutes to one hour until very tender.
While squash mixture is cooking, cook bacon strips until crispy.  Set aside
Take small batches and puree soup in a blender until smooth. Do this until it’s all pureed up.
Return pureed soup to pot and add in crispy bacon, pinto beans, carrots, bell pepper and corn kernels. 
Bring to a boil and simmer 20-30 minutes (or until veggies are tender)
Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with croutons on top, or, a dollop of cottage cheese, or a few shakes of hot sauce. 
Especially delicious served with a slice of French Bread

Perfect meal for children of all ages
that is nourishing & absolutely delicious!
Enjoy!

4 comments:

CB said...

Ooohhh that looks so yummy! Yes I know it is technically spring but it is still cold and windy here too - soup = YUM!

Connie said...

I could have soup for every meal and that soup looks good enough to eat for dessert!
Thanks for the recipe!

LKP said...

that's it. it's quarter to 2am here, and i'm now craving soup in a major way!!! you're too good with this whole food thing, chicky. :) thanks for sharing.
::hugs::

C Smith said...

Travis doesn't love the consistency either. I've made this soup and a sweet potato soup and neither of them could he stomach. However, I like them and it does remind me of something you'd get at a nice restaurant and offers something different from the normal. However, I'm going to have to get my fix at the fancy restaurant cause Trav won't eat it and he will almost eat anything ;) maybe I'll have to try your recipe..he has never not liked your stuff.