Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Joy of Sugar Cookie Dough!


Oh the joy
of a plate of sugar cookies...
They just seem brighten any day and make it a happier one!!

I'm always amazed...

At how you can take a bowl
of sugar cookie dough that is just a big
BLOB...


Roll it out using plenty of flour with a rolling pin and then
use cute cookie cutters to cut the dough into shapes
and bake them...

and then frost and decorate them or fill them and
WOW! The faces of people who see, eat and are the recipients of these creations just LIGHT UP!

The possibilities are endless to the cute shapes and creations you can make with a bowl of sugar cookie dough.

Sugar Cookies truly bring JOY to people lives!
*****************
Most people are used to sugar cookie dough being cut into cute shapes and frosted with frosting and then topped with sprinkles or candies (These Pink Sugar Cookies are something I am well known for). However, another favorite in my family was a recipe my Grandma Laura used to make up and these are one of my dad's favorite cookies.
RAISIN filled cookies!
Just basic sugar cookie dough cut into circles,
filled with raisin/nut filling and then the edges are sealed and baked until golden brown.

(I made up a batch of these just this weekend as we went to visit my parents for a birthday dinner at the famous MADDOX in Brigham City, Utah...
my mom's birthday 11-14 and my dad's birthday 11-18).
"Happy Birthday"!
This is a PIONEER recipe that goes back many generations!
(although I've used the modernized sugar cookie dough recipe of using sour cream instead of milk, but other than that, the dough/filling are something that has been passed down through the years).
So, yummy and SO easy...
You can take one batch of sugar cookie dough and bake it up two different ways so that EVERYONE is happy, plus it adds a little variety.

PERFECT,
served with a cup of tea or hot cocoa on a cold fall OR winter's day!!

I know what some of you are thinking. "RAISINS I don't think I could eat them!" Trust me, they are SO good and the raisins have a nice texture and consistency after baking in the cookies...
SO I am going to tell you a saying that I tell my children quite frequently...
Dr. Seuss says it best:

"Try them you will like them you see"

Raisin Filled Cookies
Sugar Cookie Dough Recipe...(CLICK HERE)

(Raisin filling)
1 cup raisins ground
½ cup sugar
½ cup walnuts
½ cup water
1 Tablespoon flour mixed with a little bit of water. Put on stove and boil.
This was my grandmas recipe.

Roll dough with plenty of flour and cut with round cutter.
Drop filling on dough and top with another round of dough.
Press
edges together to seal well.
Bake at 375 degress for 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned.


One of my Motto's in life truly is
that a plate of homemade cookies makes ANY day better!
Enjoy!

9 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

You are the cookingest thing I've ever run across!!!!!
You should do a cookbook like Pioneer Woman did.
Thanks for the help with the signature! You are awesome.

CB said...

Sugar cookies are one of the first things I can ever remember making as a child. I have always loved to cook and Sugar Cookies are always a favorite.
I was wondering when you were going to take those cute pink sugar cookies with lips (ha ha and you know how I love lips!) that have always been at the top of your blog and talk about them!

I heard it was really blowing in your area today so with no sunset....make cookies!! Whooo Hoooo!!! I agree they will brighten anyday and so will you!

Have a wonderful start to a new week :D

Brittany H said...

Oh man My mother in law makes raisin filled cookies and I will not deny that those are some of the best cookies known to mankind. Thanks for the recipe I'm stoked to try it out! ps. You're so awesome I'm so glad I can be your friend.

Connie said...

I love Maddox! Happy Birthday to your parents! You raisin filled cookies look delicious, I don't doubt for a moment that I would like them and I can use my walnuts! (post coming soon)
I agree with you about a plate of cookies. They do make any day better. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Ann Marie said...

When I saw your title.. I knew I would like this post. :)

I forgot about raisen cookies! Even though I don't like Raisens.. I will eat these cookies. I guess there is a few places raisens can go for me!! (ha-ha)

Glad you had a fun trip to Brigham City. Makes me sad you were not farther down south.. :)

After reading this post.. it makes me want to write a " The joy of Sugar cookies in my Belly! "

wileyfamilyof5 said...

I love raison filled cookies! We always had them wheneverwe went down to grandma's house. I am so glad you posted this recipe. I have been looking for the longest time. I trust your recipes the always turn out fab. And I think we may have simalure taste buds. I made you sugar cookies at Halloween. YUMMY.

We make atrip to Brigham city every September for peaches, and stop at Maddox. We have done that since I was just little.

Small House said...

Sugar cookies are my very favorite. I always have to appreciate someone that makes them and gives them away. They are a bit time consuming, but so yummy! The raisin cookies are a great idea.

I hoped you honked and waved hello as you drove through Cache Valley. BUT....maybe you didn't drive through Cache Valley. You probably drove behind it. Either way, honk and wave my direction.

Hope you enjoyed Maddox!! I haven't eaten there in years. Looks as though I need to pay a visit to Brigham City.

Valerie said...

I have my grandma's recipe for raisin filled cookies...haven't made them in a long time!
I'll have to try your sugar cookie recipe too! I haven't made sugar cookies for years either, and it's about time I did! :)

Sondra said...

I love to make sugar cookies... I make them all the time. However, I never have thought to stuff them. Great idea! I'll have to try that sometime.