Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Soup...fresh from our garden!


Beets, Cabbage, Carrots, Potatoes and Onions...
all from our garden, 
all in one pot of soup...
the taste...absolutely delicious!!
SOUP...
it is truly one of our family's favorite things to eat.
I love the thrift of soup!
I love taking random things, putting them in a pot, simmering so all of the flavors combine together and serving up bowls of comfort and nourishment for my family. 

2011
I decided to try my hand at making "Borscht" soup after picking our garden veggies.  I found a few recipes, but some had ingredients that I didn't have on hand and so I decided to create my own recipe, by using things I had and definitely did something I always do with soups, that of sauteing the onions, garlic and celery together before adding in the rest of the ingredients. It turned out WONDERFULLY  

Harvest Time 2012
we made another batch of this yummy soup and my 10 year-old Ethan begged us to make more, so we did! 

This is my FAVORITE soup!
Red Beet Borscht Soup
8 oz. pork sausage
1 large onion (or 2 or 3 small onions) finely chopped
2-3 cups cooked beets (I shredded part of them and diced the rest)
4 stalks chopped celery
3 cloves minced garlic
3 carrots peeled and finely chopped
3 baking potatoes peeled and finely diced
1/2 medium head of cabbage, finely chopped
(1) 8 oz. can tomato paste
(1) 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
4-5 cups water

(steps for soup)
Saute together, sausage, onions, garlic and celery until onions are tender.   
Drain
Put this mixture in a  large stock pot and then add in the water, chicken broth, cabbage, carrots beets and potatoes, bring to boil and cook until veggies are tender (about 20-30 minutes).
Then add in tomato paste and diced tomatoes, bring to a boil and simmer another 15-20 minutes.(salt and pepper to taste)

Ladle into bowls and serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.  
Perfect served with some kind of a crusty Artisan or French Bread.  
LOVE the beautiful red/purple color of this soup!
Enjoy, a very hearty, filling soup that is nourishing and absolutely delicious and the best part of all...made with veggies you grew in your garden!

No comments: