Saturday, March 17, 2012

Mint Chocolate Cookies

 If I were to think of a cookie  
that gets requested for about any event we go to, it would be that of my
 Double Chocolate Cookies.  
They taste really similar to brownies, 
but they are SO much more yummy, and more frugal to make as well!  

Truly a favorite with my kiddos,
 in fact, I'm making up a batch this weekend so Ethan can take them 
to his school class for his birthday treat to share on Monday.

HOWEVER, this recipe is also yummy to replace 
 part of the chocolate chips for mint candies or baking chips.
At Christmas I found these yummy peppermint baking chips and made these cookies and my family loved them so much so I went back to buy more and they didn't have anymore.
However, they had these Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips and so I bought them.  They were even a bigger hit than the original mint baking chips I bought. I thought I would buy another bag of them to make Mint Chocolate Cookies as our  
St. Patrick's day treat
but they must have been seasonal as I couldn't find anymore.
SO, I bought a bag of Andes Mints for $2.24, unwrapped 15 mints and cut them into chunks and added them to the cookie dough and they were PERFECT!!
(you can make 3 different batches of cookie dough 
with 1 bag of Andes Mints
 ALSO, remember if you make these up that... 
"The Secret's in the Smash" 
The way to get a truly dense and rich cookie, is when you remove the cookies from the cookie sheet, and put them to cool is to "Smash" them down.  
(see original post here about this)
Mint Chocolate Cookies
(cream together)
1 cube REAL butter  (1 cube of butter equals 1/2 cup)
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla

(then add in)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup plus 1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
15 Andes Mints cut into small chunks (or about 1/2 cup Andes Baking Chips, if you have them). 
***NOTE...if you don't want mint, just add in 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips instead).

Roll into balls and bake 350 degree oven for 14 minutes or until no longer doughy.
Remove from oven and as you pull them off the cookie sheet and put them to cool "smash" the cookies down with your spatula. (it gives you a nice dense cookie) 
Let cool on wire racks. (this makes around 18-20 cookies)

Enjoy a plate of cookies today...
whether you make a batch of 
Double Chocolate, OR,
Mint Chocolate you'll find out that 
they are absolutely delicious
and they are sure to be a HIT with everyone 
that is a lover of chocolate or brownies!

5 comments:

Steph K said...

Could you email me? You look so familiar and it's driving me crazy though that's short trip. ;) I live in Southern Idaho so if you are eating at Maddox then you can't be too far away. I think you can get my email from the google account I log into to post.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

That is a brilliant idea to use Andes mints. I bet you will use those more often.

Hope Ethan has a fabulous birthday!

Our Paper Plates said...

We love these the double chocolate cookie recipe! Yum! We will have to try the Andes mint next time!

Our Paper Plates said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steph K said...

My daughter is making these now. I made a special trip to Walmart for the Andes Mint Chips...well...we were out of printer ink too.