Sunday, February 26, 2012

You're having what for dinner?!?

 I absolutely LOVE my in-laws!  
It is SO much fun to have them for parents and grandparents to my sons. 
What I love most about them is how every time we go over there
they are always feeding us a new recipe they tried out.

HEALTH is such a priority to them 
and they love nourishing and feeding their bodies 
with such healthy, yummy things.
Well, we went over to their house a few weeks ago
and they had to make up a favorite salad that they had gotten off "Dr. Oz".
 Who would have known that sauerkraut was SO good for you! 
It is a great way to protect the balance of bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract.
Sauerkraut is also super alkalinizing as well.

 You wouldn't think it would be good,
but it is SO tasty and I can't believe
my kids LOVE it!!
Tracy's parents put in crushed crackers for crunch, but I deleted out the crackers and we just topped our Sauerkraut Salad on top of homemade toasted Artisan Bread.
WOW, YUMMY
 very economical to eat and something to JAZZ up your diet a little bit
that is different and a fun change from the monotony
of the same old same recipes we all get in a rut making up.

(one 32 oz. jar of sauerkraut was $1.69 
and it made two different batches of this...)
Sauerkraut Salad (original recipe for Dr. Oz's salad here)
16 oz. sauerkraut (1/2 of a 32 oz jar)
1 large tomato finely chopped
1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 cup grated cheese (we enjoy Swiss, or Guyere... Mozzarella is good as well)
pepper to taste
Mix all together and let sit at least an hour
Serve on top of toasted Artisan Bread.    
Great appetizer, OR, meal.


Enjoy all the wonderful health benefits of sauerkraut today 
with something that is delicious
is easy to make 
and works for a main course, or side dish!

5 comments:

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Most interesting! Will have to try that. I do like sauerkraut.

Ann Marie said...

Oh my gosh.. my mouth is watering.
Seriously.. I LOVE the stuff.. and get it every time we eat at our fa vorite German resteraunt. If you are free for a lunch during the trip.. we have to go there.

I am a happy clam hearing that it's good for you! Squeeeee!
Good news for today!

I am SOOO going to make this!

Thanks once again Kimmie!♥

Doran & Jody said...

Oh yum!
We will have to try this. We love sauerkraut!

I built a corn beef brisket lasterday for dinner and smacked me in the head because I forgot the sauerkraut!

Our Paper Plates said...

I remember seeing/smelling sauerkraut when I was a little girl (my dad loved it!) and feeling sick to my stomach. Maybe I'll have to give it a shot again :) My tastebuds have changed over the years...

Small House said...

When I was a teenager I participated in the Hill Cumorah pageant. Everyday as we drove to the hill we drove past a sauerkraut plant. Riding past this and smelling it for 2 weeks straight, I just can't bring myself to eat it. I can see it is now time to remind myself that I am not eighteen anymore and give it a try!